Goriel and beyond

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Goriel and beyond

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: OK, new topic. However, I'll leave the other one open for a little longer than usual, just to make sure nothing is getting cut short. If there are further developments with everyone else in Lorrel, while Rose and Argus love long eons of love in each other's arms, go ahead, if you think that's the better place for them.]

Sister Rose was up with the sun, as usual, although some other components of her wakening were rather less according to her routine.

It was good, she reflected, that she'd managed to catch those two magical-exhaustion-induced hours of sleep early in the previous evening, because Luminosita knew, she hadn't got much sleep once the actual night began. She turned to where Argus lay snoring beside her, brushed a soft kiss across his lips, and got out of bed, trying not to wake him, and succeeding. After a quick Hygiene spell, she went to the window for her morning prayers (which would contain a larger component of giving thanks than usual) ... and for an internal dialogue.

You should probably get over to the temple in time for confessionals, you know.

What in Luminosita's name for? What did we do that needs to be confessed?

You know.

No, I
don't know. I love him. He loves me. We've both finally realized that, and admitted it, experienced it. There was no sin to last night. There was only a sharing of love.

Keep telling yourself that, the next time you see Tim. What you were trying to do to him, so you and Argus could get on to your tryst, had very little to do with love.

All right, point. But it didn't happen. (Did it? Tim had looked pretty wobbly when Desiree shepherded him out the door, so that we could ...) Must one seek absolution for a sin that one didn't commit, although not for want of trying?

You're dodging the subject. Can you really justify falling in love, and spending the night, with this man?

Damn right I can.

The rest of the morning prayers could go hang. She estimated she still had better than three hours left before the airship would be ready to go; some time around 10 a.m., the skipper had said, before ... everything ... happened. Surely she'd have time to spend one of those hours the way she'd spent much of the night.

She slipped back into bed, naked as the day she was born, and snuggled up against the man sleeping there.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Re: Goriel and beyond

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina, on the other hand, had woken up in considerably less bliss than her new companion. The kobold's eyes fluttered open and, for a few happy moments, she didn't remember what had happened the day before. She rolled over on the hard pallet and opened her mouth to speak.

"Hey J-... oh."

Right. Gone.

Tamina made a whining noise and began the laborious process of getting focus on the day ahead. If nothing else the kobold was grateful for the distraction that taking on some slavers would provide.

A few teary moments later she was dressed, leaving her room, and heading to Udo's.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Udo was awake early -- by no means a usual habit with him, at least not since his departure from the Service. But he'd said they should get to bed early, so they could prep an ambush, and it's not as if there was any high-speed military training he could do at night by himself, nor any illustrateds to look over, nor even a group of his old buddies with a boardgame --

Anyway, he was up, and ever since he'd grown the beard, morning ablutions had become pretty fast. A little piece of him thought he should've invited himself to Tamina's room to console her for her recent loss, but the rest of him assured him that his forbearance was a matter of his Noble Spirit that respected Chivalry. Even remembering the petting from yesterday had been enough to fire his imagination as he consoled himself alone...anyway, that was last night, this was this morning, she knocked, and he was ready. He'd decided to forego the medals again - as a Master Tactician he understood that they jingled.

"'morning!" he whispered cheerfully. "Wanna grab some chow 'n' get us in position?"

Several hours later, Tim awoke, last of anyone in the group. His head was splitting, his mouth was foul, his body was drenched in new sweat, he didn't know where he was, and he was scared - far more than he'd been anywhere, except maybe the woods outside Getsemiel. The first thing he remembered was that he'd been orally violated. He clutched at his mostly-undressed body. Had he been violated some other way? He leaped from his bed to flee and fell to the floor with a bang! He flung his arms across his face and stifled a scream. What in hell was going on?

Whatever was nagging at him was vital. Something had to be done right away. Panicking wouldn't get it done. So he forced himself to struggle back into bed, and repeat a children's bedtime prayer several times over. That gave him enough calm to remember he was a healer, and to focus his Art on his own body. It took a little time -- time's precious for some reason -- but he got the worst of the headache down. His body, even "those" parts, didn't feel wrong - but he'd been undressed for some reason and there was a strange scent on him. [OOC: Cologne, provided by a thoughtful/mischievous employee of the inn, but Tim didn't know that.]

This room, wherever it was, was actually luxurious. There was a basin, and a fixed, uncracked mirror. He shaved his face as he fought his raging thoughts. His healing abilities saved him from being a bloody mess after that.

Damn them - damn the lot of them! Rose-be-damned-and-Harker-be-damned-and-Argus-and-all-their-ponies-too. It was clear enough that Harker had assaulted him and jammed a bottle in his mouth that made him forget what came next. It was semi-clear that he'd been drunk on spiked wine before that. Now there'd be a ghost to haunt his reputation and there might even be children. He was far from his home and far from the people who knew him, and he'd just been thinking he was making friends in this group, even Argus was complimenting him offhand - and now this. He'd heard that soldiers in the active Army sometimes got hazed on their first night in the barracks. Something rough-hewn and simple-minded to put the newcomer in his place. Officers, though, they didn't get treated like that...and this was too serious. There wasn't time to think much about the implications - he had something to remember and something to learn. He dressed and armed himself.

As he stumbled down two flights of stairs, he fantasized first about revenge, then about leaving the group - after a Grand Remonstrance with Rose. But before he reached the front desk he knew he couldn't do that. They were chasing a renegade Inquisitor, on orders from the Patriarch. He'd said something about the kings last night, hadn't he? - oh by the good Lord what did I say what fool did I make of myself? - when battles and kingdoms could be lost in a fit of pique. If she had to be reported - can you prove she was complicit? - that was for later, not now.

At the front desk, bleary and bloodshot, he stammered heavily but got his inquiries out. Yes, his room was already paid for. No, the clerk did not know who'd paid for the room or gotten him up there - but he could find out. It was an interminable wait, and while he was waiting, Tim spied a clock. And then it came back to him - Ten o'clock! Weatherby Docks! Eli! - this was maybe the only companion he could trust. It wasn't time but it was getting closer. Finally the clerk came back and let him know it was Miss Desiree who'd gotten him the room. Tim's face lost its color. She saved your life, and some folks would say she owns it, so she took what is hers... - that voice needed to shut the hell up.

There was no time to get to the temple to ask Rose's permission and still make it to Weatherby Docks. (The thought that Rose might not have slept at the temple, or might be anywhere else, didn't enter Tim's mind.) Decision time again. He grabbed his scabbard to stop it bouncing and took off at a run for the docks. Rose might be angry and she might have the right to control him. Just right this particular second, he did not care.
Last edited by Alberich on April 22nd, 2012, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Poor planning on my part, Sister Rose thought as she got out of bed again, one highly satisfying hour later. Now I'll have to cast another Hygiene.

This she did, and then she got dressed; all good things must end. Argus was still in bed as she walked over to the window and looked out. They should still have plenty of time to make it to the airship; the city around them was barely waking up, and pedestrian traffic was still light --

"Argus! Come look! That looks like Lillith and Brad down there!"

-----------

Meanwhile, a very green Elke (the morning sickness was well entrenched now) was receiving word that someone else was back in town.

"You're sure?" she asked the frazzled-looking underling.

"Who else could it be?" the man said, and not merely the circles under his eyes but also the superficial wounds left little doubt that he had a point.

The Eisenfaust big shot smiled and tossed him a small bag of coins. "Good work," she said. "One thing left, then you can get back to the airship. Go find Jamie again, and tell her we've got another job for her -- a highly lucrative job, and one that she can't refuse."

Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

rad looked bewildered. Lillith glanced over to Brad looking just as confused. "Kobold?" Together the two looked at Jamie, still dangling from Brad's fist. Together they asked, "What's a kobold?"

"You probably know them as catgirls. But don't say that around Tammy." Jamie contemplated a moment. "Or around me for that matter. By the way, can you put me down?"

Reluctantly, Brad put Jamie back down on her feet. "Uh, I can't say as I've ever seen a catgirl."

"Kobold."

"Right, Kobold." Brad shrugged, then turned to his lady love. "Are you sure you're all right after he plowed into you?"

"I'm fine, really Brad. Just a little sore. It's alright." Lillith smiled and patted Brad on the shoulder. "I haven't seen your girlfriend, Jamie. Sorry. Do you need help finding her?"

"No, she doesn't." A man with a slightly abused look walked up. "I already know where her girlfriend is. I'd be glad to take her to her."

"She?" Brad looked nonplussed. Brad then blanched and looked at the hand he'd been prepared to punch Jamie with. Lillith simply shrugged and made the cognitive leap smoothly.

"You know where Tammy is?" Jamie bounced. "Fuck yeah! Where's she at?"

"Just follow me. On the way I'll tell you about a little job Elke has for you."

"Shit, not her again. What's it now? wedging her undies out of their bunch?"

"Not exactly. Come on."
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

"Whuh?" Argus mumbled sleepily. Rose's words clicked. "What? But... what?" Awkwardly, he staggered out of bed and to her side. "By the weave, it is them! And... Harker's walking up to them? Maybe he can figure out what's going on."

*************************************************************************************************************

Harker cheerfully walked up to Brad and Lillith. "Hey, you two. You missed all the excitement last night. We finally got Argus and Rose to go ahead and do it." He paused. "Sex, I mean." Another pause. "So what's new with you?"
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eli had risen early despite getting little sleep. This morning the half-elf's mind was fairly buzzing with new information and the possibilities the day would bring.

He was sat on an empty crate in the middle of the Weatherby docks, a contemplative look on his tired face, and an apple on his hand which he took periodic bites of in a way that seemed almost mechanical. Despite the nip in the air he didn't feel cold, the amulet was a small ball of warmth against his skin.

'We'll find them, we'll make them dance.' He thought remotely. 'These debts have to repaid.'

"Wanna grab some chow 'n' get us in position?"

"Yeah... umm... yeah." Replied the kobold absently. "Then stop the bad men, help the slavey peoples and stuff."

The wind had been knocked out of her that morning, no doubt about it. Even as Tamina ordered her breakfast in her usual ballistic style there was no sign of her usual cheery nature. Her mind was occupied and unusually focused that morning, on the slavers... and on the half-elf.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose didn't see Harker as she and Argus made their only-slightly-sheepish way down to where Brad and Lillith were, which was probably just as well. Rose's dominant mood, in any event, was joyful relief at seeing two people that she cared about, and had been worrying about, ever since they'd been left in Getsemiel. ("Joyful relief" may also have characterized her mood for other reasons too, but that part went unremarked on, at least at first.)

There were surely stories to be exchanged once the hugs stopped, but that could wait. "You'll be coming with us?" Rose asked, getting quiet nods ... and knowing looks. Just looks. No words. Just looks.

"What?"

---------------

Elke smiled with a warmth she definitely did not feel, as the goon brought Jamie into her office. "Make yourself comfortable," she said, indicating a chair that had a bottle and glass poised on a table next to it. "We have another job for you." She smirked. "This one is going to be more to your liking, I think. It's certainly more in line with what you're used to doing, and doing it will make you one hell of a lot of money."

The girl may or may not have been reaching for the bottle, but either way, the goon caught her hand with a none-too-subtle, iron grip. "That's the good news," Elke continued. "The bad news is that we are not going to take no for an answer." The grip tightened. Then she added, "That's enough, Bruno." She poured from the bottle herself, set the glass in front of the girl, and continued.

"Simply put, there's someone we want you to kill."

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

"Yeah... umm... yeah." Replied the kobold absently. "Then stop the bad men, help the slavey peoples and stuff."

"...and get the reward!" he completed. But she didn't seem to be inspired. Even at breakfast, she wasn't the same. Now, Udo was oblivious to subtle social signals, especially female signals. He was oblivious to the fact that he was oblivious. But even he could tell that dear Tamina was not her fizzy pussycat self. And mixed in with all the rest of what he felt and what his strangely-tuned hormones said -- he really did like her and hated to see her sad. But he was helpless to do anything about it. She must've still been missing Jamie. Ask her to talk about Jamie? Maybe later - he didn't know if that'd help or make her cry again. Promise to go looking for Jamie, afterwards? But Jasmine's note made that unwise...ah, that is to say, of course he'd quest for her to make Tamina happy, if they had any clues about where to look. Since they didn't, what with the portals and all, Jamie was probably thousands of miles away. His face was concerned. (But did she read "human face"?)

Well, maybe the violent mayhem would cheer her up. It always had before! If not, he'd have to think of something.

Contrary to his usual ways, he ate and drank lightly. He wanted to be concealed at the dock hours ahead of time, and not have to "go." He'd been looking forward to being holed up with her for the duration of the wait. If she was sad, though, he'd be respectful, and not hold her any more than she seemed to want, and not indulge his MTF's,* though his body shook with desire. Such was the way of a Noble Knight Protector.

*"Must Touch Fur."'

Hours later, Tim had slowed himself down. He checked clocks when he could find them, to see where he stood. Being puffed and winded wouldn't help. There'd be no time to conceal himself properly. He just had to be around there when the trouble started, and hope he could run up fast enough to do something useful. Soberly, he doubted there was much he could do to help Eli. But he'd made a promise and wanted to keep it. This man, at least, would keep faith with him.

Fantasies kept roaring through his head, the kind that come to frustrated young men wherever they may be found. Fantasies about charging into battle and being cut down - giving a grand account of himself but not surviving. Showing them he wasn't just a butt for their pranks. Childish? No doubt. But they felt better than the ridiculous idea of revenge on his companions. Anyway, once he heard the noise, he'd run up as fast as he could and see what he could do. Maybe save a prisoner, if one of them wanted to surrender, or heal a scratch, if there was one to heal.
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Post by Sareth »

There were surely stories to be exchanged once the hugs stopped, but that could wait. "You'll be coming with us?" Rose asked, getting quiet nods ... and knowing looks. Just looks. No words. Just looks.

"What?"

"You got laid." Lillith replied with a smile.

"Lillith!" Brad gasped, blushing. The corners of his mouth were trying to twitch upward, however.

"Well, it's true," Lillith said. "And you have no room to complain, silly man. You did too. Just last night on the airship, as I recall." Brad's blush became almost radioactive.

"How..." Rose gasped.

"You're practically glowing. And your spirit..." Lillith's eyes narrowed a bit in a friendly focus. "Yes, you definitely got laid."

"Simply put, there's someone we want you to kill."

Jamie contemplated Elke for a moment, then picked up the glass and finished it. "You know, I'm thinking of words which start with the letter B. Bitch. Brigand. Brood-mare." She set the glass down and glanced pointedly at Elke's midriff. "But mostly 'Blood'. Alright, who do I get to take my non-sexual frustrations out on?"