Goriel and beyond, part 3

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Re: Goriel and beyond, part 3

Post by Alberich »

Udo "went for it," prying away at the bolts keeping the grate in place. After he had a few out, Jamie noticed that a couple of the key bars were rusted enough to admit of a faster solution. With a "heads up, Food-ho!" she gave them a kick or two, and snap!, the grate was openable.

Udo's other light winked out, but a piece of iron from the grating held another glob of it easily. Tamina was healed - and it was time to proceed to the strangely addictive fascination of the deeper mine --

(Like the fiend with his dope and the drunkard his wine / A man will have lust for the lure of a mine / It's dark as a dungeon and damp as the dew / Oh, the dangers are double, and the pleasures are few...)

-- and so they proceeded. It was cool, damp, and dirty, with lots of twists and turns and dead ends to recommend it. Still, there was no sign of any recent mining activity - only old, broken tools and worked-out seams - until Tamina's sharp ears picked up a sound. A sound a little like digging. She pointed the way and they went.

There wasn't any metal-on-rock pick-and-shovel work, nor any talk of miners to each other, nor...well, no one here knew what gem mining was supposed to sound like anyway. But when they were getting closer, Udo suddenly sneezed - and a single, cracked voice called out, "Who's there?"

While the three looked at each other and improvised plans, a short, barrelly figure stepped out of a passage in front of them. It wasn't especially clean or especially clothed either, quite the reverse in fact, but at least its dark beard obscured the worst of what its body had to offer. Its eyes were a sort of green, and its teeth - when they showed - were tough and stumpy. In fact, it looked quite a lot like someone they'd met recently --

"Waal, who are ye, then? Come to open up the mine again?"

"Not...necessarily," said Udo. "Is there, ah, anything down here?"

"Found a new seam of copper, kiddo, but don't even try. It's mine! Not the best...." And here the creature lifted one leg and let out a loud, horrible, copious, gaseous emission, quite like carbon disulfide.[1] "...too much tin! Copper is proper but tin gives me wind!"

"Ah...your name Nick, then?"

"Nick's the name! But you're wasting your time here. Not that much copper, not any anything else."

"I see...no, rubies, or anything like that?"

"Nope!"

"Anyone down here, you know, digging, or doing anything else?"

"Nope! 'cep' me! 's not worth fighting me for the copper they got left, and they ain't been digging for a couple year now!"

"Okay," said Jamie, "So how do we get outta here?"

"Waaal," said Nick, "They got some grates up thataway, back where you come from, but there's some big four-head thingy blocks the way up there. Best way's through the Lower Cave, you just have to get past that durn blob-thing with all the mouths and ears on it. It's asleep most of the time. Best way's to sneak around it without making a sound. Not a sound, d'ye hear? Just a peep and its up and bitin' your butt! Speakin' o' butt, got another one comin' on!" -- and it let out another blast, and another stink, and another laugh to go with them.

Suffering it as best they knew how, the adventurers at least got directions - so they could find their way to this lower chamber (which really wasn't that far away, all considered) and from there to another entrance on a different part of the mountain. But maybe this way wasn't sounding so attractive now.

[1] If you don't know the smell of carbon disulfide, don't seek it out for the sake of it, is my advice.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"Good evening, Drusia. Did everyone survive?"

I'm not sure how to take that. However, as there is a getera in the room.

I ignore Rose and bow to the woman. "Honored getera," I say, "This humble lady must request your absence for a moment. You will be welcome to return momentarily, or to take your rest in the zenana and return in the morning."

She stares at me for a moment, then looks at Argus. Put on the spot, he glances at Rose, then nods. The getera, whatever her name, exits to the hallway.

I wait until the door closes and two seconds thereafter. Then I turn to Rose.

"Not the guests in the inn Eli burned down," I say softly. I don't say it coldly - I don't intend to slap her in the face, merely to make her understand what her choice has cost. As I understand things, she put some sort of holy mission before Eli's wellbeing, and the result is a dozen strangers dead. I don't belabor that point, but I won't forget it either, and I won't let Rose forget it either.

"Eli escaped," I continue after a moment, "He's meeting his 'master' whomever that is. It is now my responsibility to hunt Eli and his master down, and kill them both, as well as anyone else associated with their organization."

That too I let sink in a moment. I will ask for an explanation shortly - right now I want her to know where things stand.

-- Drusia
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Sister Rose gasped at Drusia's words. For a moment she stood silently. Then she found her voice, but it wasn't clear whether she was talking to the elf, or to herself.

"I just don't understand ... In Lorrel, at least he had a reason for what he did. I'd say a 'good' reason, if there can ever be a good reason for killing. But ever since then ... An inn ... with Luminosita alone knows how many people there ..."

No one spoke for at least thirty seconds, but then she turned back to Drusia. Her voice was barely audible.

"You surely don't need for me to say it, but ... do what you must."

And I ... I have some atonement to deal with.

[OOC: In principle, this looks like a good place to start the new thread. However, Rose would like to do one more thing after Drusia goes wherever she's going. That can either end this thread, or start the next one, but either way, the night isn't over for her.]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Drusia

Post by Drusia »

"I just don't understand ... In Lorrel, at least he had a reason for what he did. I'd say a 'good' reason, if there can ever be a good reason for killing. But ever since then ... An inn ... with Luminosita alone knows how many people there ..."
No one spoke for at least thirty seconds, but then she turned back to Drusia. Her voice was barely audible.
"You surely don't need for me to say it, but ... do what you must."

"I'm not here to ask for your permission," I tell her. "Particularly since he was one of my family. I was - and am - asking for your help." If for no other reason than you helped create the mess that needs cleaning.

"First off, I want to speak more with that melodramatic priest," I tell her. "Tim. He and Lillith are the only people who seemed to know what was going on with Eli. That can wait until tomorrow, after he's rested and eaten something. The boy seems rather high-strung - I'll wait until I no longer have to contend with low blood-sugar."

I pause only briefly - just enough to make it clear that the Tim issue is currently tabled.

"Secondly, I want to know where my daughter is," I tell Rose. "A zenana would normally be safe enough, but I want to check in on her. Considering some of the comments that got thrown around earlier concerning Desiree's relationship status, Eli making an attempt on my daughter's life - or the life of her new lover - is not entirely out of the question."

-- Drusia

OOC:
[OOC: I have to backtrack on one thing - there is another encounter Drusia may be having, after Rose

Actually, I'm not sure if that's happening now or later. Things have taken some unexpected turns, so I might need to put that off until 'tomorrow' in game.

Particularly (hint hint) if Rose or Argus mentions that Harker is keeping an eye on Desiree.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Ask and ye shall receive ...]

Sister Rose nodded numbly. "Tim is here," she said. "Third door down. It would be best to wait until morning to talk to him. He has a getera with him, and that would be ... awkward, even though I'm sure he won't -- well." The sentence didn't really need completing, did it? "As for Desiree, she's at the Duravsky compound. They're the most powerful clan in Goriel. She's probably safer there than anywhere else in the city, and that includes our consulate. I do not recommend you go there tonight. They have a large, suspicious security force, and they are unpleasant people." Her shudder was quite involuntary. "Harker is keeping an eye on her, for what that's worth."

Drusia

Post by Drusia »

"Tim is here," she said. "Third door down. It would be best to wait until morning to talk to him. He has a getera with him, and that would be ... awkward, even though I'm sure he won't -- well." The sentence didn't really need completing, did it? "As for Desiree, she's at the Duravsky compound. They're the most powerful clan in Goriel. She's probably safer there than anywhere else in the city, and that includes our consulate. I do not recommend you go there tonight. They have a large, suspicious security force, and they are unpleasant people." Her shudder was quite involuntary. "Harker is keeping an eye on her, for what that's worth."

I blink. "She's with the Duravskys?" I say in surprise. I frown for a moment, then ask "How did she know?"

In any case, Harker is watching her. I worked with Harker once when my life depended on it. He did good work. I trust him to make sure that, if Eli tries anything, both Desiree and I will know about it in time.

-- Drusia

OOC: How did she know what? Find out... next post. Assuming you ask. :p
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Know what?" Sister Rose asked, puzzled.

Drusia

Post by Drusia »

"Know what?" Sister Rose asked, puzzled.

"About her father," I reply. Rose looks at me blankly. "Oh." So she doesn't know. That... could be awkward.

"Around thirty years ago, I was tracking an Errant in these parts," I tell Rose and Argus. "For various reasons, I needed to get close to the Duravsky clan. Specifically, the young clan leader, Arman. I made a bit of a reputation for myself as his personal getera - or something like it anyway. Then there was a little... misunderstanding concerning some local politics that had to do with me finding that Errant. I made my kill, but Arman got it in his head that I'd betrayed him and... well, let's just say things got messy. Since I had no reason to stay, I left. And, after returning to Snamish, I had Desiree."

I pause. "Arman is still the head of Duravsky clan, yes? I really hope he hasn't been bedding Desiree. The incest would make introducing Desiree to her father rather... awkward."

-- Drusia
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

[OOC: Well done! I had an inkling that something in this general direction might be coming, but Rose certainly didn't, so ...]

Sister Rose listened to Drusia, her eyes getting wider, and her stomach queasier, as the elf went.

It all makes sense, in its own, unmentionable way, she thought. And it has a parallel with us. Argus and Lillith didn't know their relation to each other until they'd been brought together by improbable forces, and had traveled together for a time. But I could see something there, without knowing what it was. For Desiree to gravitate back to the place, and the man, of her creation ... well, I certainly didn't see that coming, but there's a symmetry to it.

However, there were also ... issues to be dealt with. "Then we're going to have to get her out of there," Rose said. "The -- family considerations --" she couldn't bring herself to say the word "incest" -- "require it. And it's not just for her sake, but for ours. I didn't realize you'd lived here, Drusia, but since you did, you know the way the geteroi are used as part trading cards, part hostages, part spies, part tokens of esteem, part I-don't-know-what by the clans. I've never seen anything like it. We just can't face the reaction from the Duravsky men if they discover that what's been exchanged with them is one of their own cousins, or even half sisters." She cringed at the thought. "I think we can get her out of there tomorrow, without causing too many political problems; we have to move out into the boonies, and she should go with us. Let us work on that. Under the circumstances I think it would be dangerous for you to go back into the Duravsky compound yourself. We'll take care of this one for you." There. I managed to get that all out without coming apart.

However, Rose had reached her emotional limit ... and then some. As soon as Drusia was seen out, with assurances of cooperation, Rose returned to where Argus had been standing, tall, immobile, and silent as a sphinx. Her face went from its diplomatic mask to something a great deal softer. Softer, and more vulnerable, and more worried, and more ashamed, and more pained ... and she threw herself into his arms.

"Hold me," she whispered.

Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

What could Argus do? He held Rose, long and tightly.

They needed to get the hell out of this damned city.