Port Lorrel- Prison Break

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Re: Port Lorrel- Prison Break

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC Uuuurrrggg.... I'm still down with this fucking flu! I'll try to get something in after my head stops feeling like a boiling kettle stuffed full of cotton wool./OOC
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Dr. Rabbitfoot took the oration in, maintaining his typical silence for a few seconds longer than was strictly necessary. Then he rubbed his chin. "A magical staff," he mused. "A rare commodity in this country. But one that our hypothetical, powerful Elke might have occasion to import." He turned to his familiar. "Zero, please investigate this possibility."

"Aye, aye, boss," the monkey said, and scrambled away with astonishing dexterity -- but rather than going down the stairs, he climbed up a wall, to what appeared to be a heating duct near the ceiling of the room, and squirmed into it. Moments later, small, quick footfalls echoed from the duct and receded in the distance.

Rabbitfoot turned his attention back to this strange man. "I feel compelled to observe," he said, "that attempts to make contact with such a personage could very well be rather ... dangerous."

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Ross nodded and grinned. "Very!" he said. "But these are dangerous times. And maybe the safest place is next to some dangerous people."
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Dr. Rabbitfoot sat in silence for quite a long time, studying this unexpected "patient," and it didn't require too much imagination to see calculations going on behind his gold-rimmed glasses.

Eventually the mood was broken by a soft chime that seemed to come from everywhere in the room at once. Rabbitfoot muttered something under his breath, then turned his attention back to his visitor. "I have commitments that I must keep," he said. "However, against my better judgment, I will aid you. Here." He fished into a pocket and extracted a small brass token that glowed with magic. "Come back to my door tomorrow morning and hold this against the lock. There will be a message for you as to how to make contact with this hypothetical, dangerous Elke. If the Weave permits, it will also contain instructions on how one might find a magical staff that should not exist in this country. Now go." He sat back in his chair, and magic started to build in the room.

---------------

The lifemage had no way of knowing, however, that the real, as opposed to hypothetical, Elke was now more than five hundred miles from Lorrel, and growing rapidly more distant. Very rapidly.

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

With a noncommittal "thank you," Ross left. Oh, subtle, weren't they? Before he stepped out the door, he weighed the token in one hand and gave it a thorough magical examination, to see what tricks or traps might be concealed within it, or whether it was linked to anyone. Probably these silly animals were just hoping to track or spy on him. Well, he knew how to deal with that.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

The Black Guard returned to the Port mid-afternoon with the slaver ship in tow, and to the gratitude of the dozens of men and woman the soldiers had found chained in the squallor of Darmain's pens. The half-elf had instructed the helmsman to make sure that the vessels docked in the busiest part of the waterfront, and made a show of putting the former slaver captain's wealth into the pockets of his merchandise to show the unfailing heroism of Logan's men. People stared at the starved and teary-eyed individuals as they descended the gangplanks with words of thanks and handshakes for their liberators. Eli watched them go from his perch aboard the The Pride, relishing a job well done.

The horseman arrived a few minutes later.

Not that that in itself was unusual, the mage had let his employer where the vessel was landing beforehand, it was the look of urgency in the man's eyes as he waved to the Black Guard Captain. Eli jogged to the pier floor and held out his hands for the reins of the second horse the soldier had brought with him. His instincts told him he'd have cause to ride fast in the very near future.

"Report."

"The Old Man who works for the boss needs to speak with you, Sir."

"Aleron?" Eli swung smoothly into the saddle and wheeled the mount around as his subordinate elaborated.

"Aye sir. He was insistent, he ordered me to bring you to him the moment you arrived."

"Did he say why?"

"No sir."

'Aleron?'

No answer from the pendant. Eli frowned.

"Lead on. Quickly."
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Finding nothing especially fishy in the token, Ross left town in a random direction. When he judged the place right, he did a little divination to avoid rodent burrows, magically forced the token several feet down behind a bush, and defecated on top of it. Then he fled the area with an invisibility spell on his body and a song in his heart. Now if those Eisenfaust were trying to track him, they'd get nowhere, or at least nowhere that smelled nice, and the next morning he'd be able to recover the thing easily.

He spent the afternoon on high points in the wilderness near town using farsight spells, sometimes to watch for ships out to sea, sometimes to watch the land near the closest portals, human and Ranger. He'd hoped to enlist the Eisenfaust to warn him when Drusia arrived and make contact between them. He still hoped for that, but the longer before they met, the more likely she'd make it in first, charging Aleron like a bull with toothache.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"I found Carlos," Zero said, popping back through the heating duct. "He says he'll talk to the guy."

Dr. Rabbitfoot nodded approvingly. "Good. Usual setup?" It was a more satisfactory cover operation than many; a guitar maker wasn't exactly the kind of person usually expected to be a front man for one of the guilds.

The monkey nodded back, a mannerism that his owner always found vaguely amusing. "Yep, just meet him at the workshop. But boss, are you sure about this? I mean, that guy was an elf and all, no matter how much he was trying to hide it. Do we really want to be screwing around with elves?"

The tall man chuckled. "Normally, elves decide whether they want to be screwing around with you. It's part of their mystique. Or at least they think it is. He's already decided he wants to do this, so we're stuck with him. Sending him that way gets him out of our hair sooner than later and lets the Eisenfaust take care of him." He chuckled again. "Carlos has the violin cases, after all." They both knew that the contents of certain of those violin cases weren't violins, and elves died just fine from bullet wounds.

"I suppose, boss," Zero said, a bit of doubt still in his voice. "One last thing: what did you give him to activate the message rune?"

Rabbitfoot chuckled again. "Oh, that. Just a button off the blouse of some whore that came over to get treated for the clap. All very gaudy and mysterious-looking, and utterly without function, except for having a big magical glamour on it to impress her customers. It didn't even have to be magical to trigger the rune, but I thought it would keep him nice and occupied." Another chuckle; he did that a lot. "I've been amusing myself imagining what in the Weave he's going to do with it to 'defeat' all the scrying spells. So a good time will be had by all, and the whore won't miss it, she was used to having her blouse unbuttoned anyway ... Let's call it quits for the day. I'll whip up the message rune first thing in the morning."

[OOC: No more action for Dr. Rabbitfoot, as far as I'm concerned. Can we close this thread and move the action to the new one?]

Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

[OOC: I think you should keep this thread open because this thread follows Eli, Aleron, Tim, Myra, Jargalan, and the Eisenfaust, while the other thread is following Drusia, Tamina, Udo, Angrist, and Khoo. When things really get shaking, a better chance to join the threads will present itself, I'm convinced.]
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC This thread isn't done yet. I'll let you know when it is Grey./OOC

"What do you mean, he's dead?"

Eli stood in the townhouse which had temporarily been remanded to Aleron's custody after the damage to Weatherby's old mansion with incredulity on his face. He assessed the seriousness in the older half-elf's face, and found no trace of a joke there.

"I was watching the battle through the stone. The elf-bitch cut his head off and one of the kobold's threw it in a fire. He's gone."

"Fuck!" Eli wheeled and fired a blast of magic from his fist, turning a nearby chair into a shower of splinters before he could get himself under control. "How did Drusia know we'd be there? What the fuck happened?"

"My guess is someone was listening in to our communications." Aleron pulled his own amulet out from his robe and rolled the crystal thoughtfully between his fingers. "Leli, the elder, more than likely. She's more familiar with our devices than any other. At least the boy killed her before meeting his end."

"That's something I suppose." The younger man mumbled, still faintly stunned by the news that a monster like Captain Averis hadn't made it. "Now what?"

"We continue as before, and find a way to turn this crisis into an opportunity."

"How?"

"By doing a little listening in of our own." The Ralkin leader replied promptly. "And feeding a little misinformation to those who are listening."

Eli nodded, recognizing a sound strategy when he heard one.

"In the meantime, I want you to find that Priest of yours and bring him to me." The half-elf continued. "I think it's time for a meet and greet... and an assessment."

"As you wish, Aleron."