The search for Brother Dalton, part 2

As we play, occasionally we'll close a thread and open a new one to keep the size of threads (and relative complexity) down to a dull roar. Here's where we store the closed posts from the history of Errant Road.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Re: The search for Brother Dalton, part 2

Post by Alberich »

Anfisa genuflected when introduced by Tamina -- it wouldn't do to be impolite, and might be helpful in getting a free meal.

"Oh my god, you're beautipul ... and one ob ut."

Her eyes opened a little wider for just a moment and she took a step closer to Desiree. It was perfectly true, of course, but...what was wrong with her? The double flash of jealousy quickly cooled and stayed off her face. She didn't think this silly stutterer was really going to be alluring to Desiree, not in a way that really counted, and, well, if they did have to earn their way across the world, that was something she'd have to put up with.

[OOC: I'd like it better if you did the initial draft and then let us send you the characters that aren't in it; that way you can create post with the full cross-slash of who's in what country and who's dead. I've actually done a rough draft of my own of characters I think you might not have, and I can PM that to you if you'd like.]
Drannin
Prince of Space

Post by Drannin »

Argus gazed silently at Rose. "Go on," he said gently.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Go on."

Sister Rose blushed violently. "I ... Argus, I just don't know how to say this. It's been so long ... I've always wanted ... and now ..."

At that moment, Tim and Audie appeared, and Rose clammed up; what she had to say next was definitely not something she wanted either of them to hear at this particular moment, steadfast members of the Orthodox Church that they were. "Let's start getting ready to go," she mumbled, cursing herself for her inarticulateness.

------------

"Det-- Deton--" The troll fumbled over the word in the human language, having no idea what it meant ... but Therese knew. "RUN!" she screamed, just as the crystal ball started to emit a curiously musical stream of tones.

------------

Keyes' flush deepened. "I'm torry," he said. "Dat wat not bery polite ob me. It dut dat I don't meet many halb elb --" he looked around to make sure he was unobserved before saying those last two words -- "particularly not any ad beautipul ad you. Anyway, I'm glad to meet you, I'm Keyeth, Tammy and I hab been trough tome battle togeder." He smiled at the kobold, hoping that that would help him get back under control.

Outside in the street, noises, as of a drunken band of carousers, could be heard in the distance. His smile at Tamina got a momentary overlay of a frown; it was far too early in the day for drunks to be wandering the streets looking for trouble. Well, at least they wouldn't be looking for it here.

He was wrong about that, of course.

[OOC:
Alberich wrote:She didn't think this silly stutterer was really going to be alluring to Desiree
Just for the record, Keyes doesn't "stutter." His speech is perfectly normal and intelligible in all regards except for an inability to pronounce sibiliants correctly -- "s" and "z" and "th" and so on. Presumably all characters in Errant Road have accents of a sort, since they're speaking each other's languages and come from diverse backgrounds, and I wouldn't bother homing in on this particular impediment were it not for the fact that "half elf" and "defect" don't go well together in the Errant World ...ifyouknowwhatImean. Incidentally, I would prefer to move this sub-thread slowly until Desiree gets a chance to get a word in, although it'll start moving quickly soon enough.]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

Tim raised a hand and greeted Rose cheerfully "in the name of Our Lord Luminosita." This was not his first exercise in interrupting intimate moments between these two, right here in this city, without knowing it. He went on: "And a good afternoon to you - and to you, also, Argus - Father Amalric tells me I'm attached to your mission once more, so here I am and ready to fly!"

[OOC: Understood. Anfisa is by no means always fair in her snap judgments of other people, especially when evaluating them as sexual rivals.]

[OOC2: I'm fine with both threads moving at a leisurely summer pace, since some players are very busy, and I hope are taking time to get out in the sunshine. I know Jack has been.]
Last edited by Alberich on May 30th, 2013, 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina caught herself humming melodically along to the drunk people outside as Keyes was pulling himself out of the hole he'd dug with his blurted exclamation about Desiree's looks. The kobold, for her part, had noted the pretty half-elf as one might note a work of art in a museum; nice to look at, but not to fantasise over. Besides, her tastes ran to the more extroverted... more warlike, if she were honest.

A rumble from her gut returned her to the reason they'd come. She coughed politely to get the half-elf host's attention.

"Umm... Keyeth? This place still do the steak with the mushroom gravy?" She absently wiped her mouth with the back of her hand as she finished the question.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"Somewhere with lunch!" Tamina agreed. "Oh! Know just the place! Geno's! S'got good steaks." She beamed.

"Sure!" I say, smiling. I mean, why not?

"I've never been there," I add. "Nor has Anfisa. What would you recommend?"

The place turns out to be a steakhouse. Huh. Okay then.

Inside we're greeted by an... odd individual.

He turned to acknowledge the other two women, first smiling politely at Anfisa ... and then his gaze fell on Desiree. His eyes got wide, his mouth fell open, and the flushing of his face suggested a racing pulse (and more).

"Oh my god," he said softly. "You're beautipul ... and one ob ut."

I blink. "Um..." I stammer, momentarily confused.

Keyes' flush deepened. "I'm torry," he said. "Dat wat not bery polite ob me. It dut dat I don't meet many halb elb --" he looked around to make sure he was unobserved before saying those last two words -- "particularly not any ad beautipul ad you. Anyway, I'm glad to meet you, I'm Keyeth, Tammy and I hab been trough tome battle togeder." He smiled at the kobold, hoping that that would help him get back under control.

I blink again. Oh. I swallow and fake a smile.

"Not at all," I say politely. "Thank you for the compliment. It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm called Desiree, and this is my lover Anfisa." I draw Anfisa to my side so my meaning is quite clear.

I make my smile a bit brighter, and carefully don't let my eyes betray my discomfort. Unless that is just a particularly strange accent... that speech impediment is likely caused by a birth defect. A birth defect that would have gotten him branded as an Errant back home. I've heard that many half-elves with birth defects don't become Errants, but some do and... well, having a possible Errant call me beautiful is rather upsetting.

I listen carefully to the others within earshot. Hopefully this strange accent is just that - a local accent and nothing to do with horrific birth defects.

-- Desiree

OOC: There we go. A clear speach impediment is something Desiree is not used to (and would associate with hare-lip). Even if it has nothing to do with that, she's rather frazled by this.
Last edited by Drusia on May 30th, 2013, 3:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

"Umm... Keyeth? This place still do the steak with the mushroom gravy?"

"I don't know, Tammy," Keyes answered, glad for the momentary distraction; he wasn't totally lacking in social sensitivity, just startled by an unexpectedly beautiful half elf face (and body). "I tink the maitre'd tepped out por a minute. Probably be back toon and you can ack him. Dit teak id OK witout mutroomd, dough." (Maybe the steak without mushrooms was "OK," but his plate looked like he'd been pushing food around on it for a while, as though his heart wasn't entirely in his meal.)

He frowned at the noise outside, which seemed to be getting slowly closer. "I don't recognide dat language," he said. "Poreignerd, probably." He turned his attention back to the three women.

[OOC: BTW, Keyes doesn't have a harelip or any other obvious physical defect. He just has that weird speech impediment. That's all that's off-normal about him ... as far as anyone knows.]

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Tamina's ears flicked irritably as the noise of the singing grew louder. Her sharp senses picked out the syllables crisp and clear, although not knowing the language provided no help to discern their meaning.

"Sounds like they coming in here. Umm... what's a mate-tree-dee do?" She chuckled. "Shouldn't mate-tree, you'd get splinters."
Alberich
Noble Knight Protector

Post by Alberich »

As the voices came closer, the accent, and the melody, became familiar to Anfisa. "Gorielian!" she said "Got to hide...!"

But whether she had time to hide remained to be seen. As would whether she really had anything to worry about. Neither she nor Desiree had been seen outside all that often in Goriel.
Drusia
Veteran of the Errant War

Post by Drusia »

"Gorielian!" she said "Got to hide...!"

I put a calming hand on Anfisa's shoulder. "We should be fine," I tell her softly. "Even if they recognize you as Gorelian - which isn't that likely since we're not dressed in Gorelian clothes - they won't know who we are. We're safe enough with Tamina."

After all, the likelyhood of it being someone from the compound is just about a million to one....

-- Desiree