2013-08-02: [CT] Hand Washing

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
The Comment Golem
Unstoppable Posting Machine

2013-08-02: [CT] Hand Washing

Post by The Comment Golem »

Discussion thread for [CT] Hand Washing
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Re: 2013-08-02: [CT] Hand Washing

Post by Graybeard »

Minor editorial quibble: Sarine's last couple of bubbles, in the final panel, should be thought bubbles rather than speech bubbles. These are things she definitely would not be saying out loud, particular if Sarna was still within hearing range as she appears to be.

I notice also that the very last panel in the original isn't used in the revised version. This version works entirely OK without it, but more art of Sarine is always a good thing. ;)

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Bytemite
Resident Wormhole Lawyer

Post by Bytemite »

I seem to recall she says that out loud in the original version too.

I put it down to a story telling choice... And Sarine not being around anyone for so long beyond hunting half elves that she just kinda rambles to herself sometimes.

Continuing some of the Sarna discussions... You know, she never mentions to Sarine what she pulled with this wild goose chase here. Did Sarna never realize what Sarine did? She had to have figured it out, especially because Sarine obviously gets involved with the half elves they're chasing again.

Maybe that's the reason that the next time we see Sarna, just before she's called up to the northern territories, that she's kinda harsh and nasty to Sarine.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Bytemite wrote:I seem to recall she says that out loud in the original version too.
No, actually. Definitely thought bubbles there.
Bytemite wrote:Continuing some of the Sarna discussions... You know, she never mentions to Sarine what she pulled with this wild goose chase here. Did Sarna never realize what Sarine did? She had to have figured it out, especially because Sarine obviously gets involved with the half elves they're chasing again.

Maybe that's the reason that the next time we see Sarna, just before she's called up to the northern territories, that she's kinda harsh and nasty to Sarine.
Interesting thought. I'd always taken her snark about "running off with a human" to refer to Sarine's husband. But it might also fit here, although Sarine wasn't yet running off with a human (Jon) when this scene happened.

Actually, I think it's just that Sarna is kinda harsh and nasty by nature.

Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

I checked with Poe when I lettered that, he said he wanted speech bubbles there this time. My thinking when I asked was that the telepathy bubbles might too easily be confused with thought bubbles, so instead Sarine is muttering very quietly. I think it's sufficiently obvious from the context that Sarna would not be able to overhear it, but if you need a justification then let's just point out that she's in a crowd at considerable distance to Sarna, and probably waited until Sarna was out of range to say it. Sarine has a nasty habit of speaking out loud to herself in proximity to other elves, you'll notice she does the same thing here and here. However, she always does so in the common language.

I dropped the art of Sarine from the page to make room for the text (which it still took me two days to make fit, even with extra room and splitting the page, because this page was a fucking nightmare). It wasn't such a great panel that I felt all that bad about it, honestly. I like the waving goodbye as a clear closing to this scene.

^-^'
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Bytemite
Resident Wormhole Lawyer

Post by Bytemite »

No, actually. Definitely thought bubbles there.
Huh, all right then. Nice spot Graybeard.

Thanks for the explanation too.
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

Huh. I never made the connection to Riley. I figured it might have been a rumor, or she might have been making something up.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

mindstalk wrote:Huh. I never made the connection to Riley. I figured it might have been a rumor, or she might have been making something up.
I didn't make the connection with Riley when she first appeared either, but this conversation with Meji pretty much locked it up.