Tsuiraku - A Contest of Miseries

For in-universe game play. Journey through both familiar and foreign settings, explore lost ruins and forgotten cities, and try to bring light to the darkness of the world... or, you know, blow stuff up. Either way.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Re: Tsuiraku - A Contest of Miseries

Post by Jack Rothwell »

OOC I'll try to get one in here tomorrow. Sorry, drawing a creative blank atm./OOC
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

OOC: I'm a little creatively tapped out here too. The problem is that I have some sense of what is "supposed" to happen, but it would be rather contrary to Khoo's character for him to actually do it. Not sure how to resolve this.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"Well, that narrows things down." Leo said dryly as he observed the departed couple. The noble returned his attention to the poker game, which appeared to be heading towards it's climax. The clues were in the jiggling of impatient legs, the white of the knuckles and the banter tapering off completely at the last players got down to the wire.

A few moments of tense silence later, a colourful curse rang out as one of the mercenaries irritably slapped his cards on the aging wood. Two were now left; the exotic looking woman was one of them.

"This situation presents a useful opportunity." The bum murmured to his student-ish companion. "You should send the princess a drink when the game is done. As a consolation or a congratulation, it lowers the inhibitions and endears you to the sweet thing. I can deliver it to her with a smile and a kind word if butterflies are plaguing you."

OOC I'll free up the bandit on my next post./OOC
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

A drink ... to that... by the Great Green Sea God's Gills, I can't do that, Khoo thought with a visible cringe. He stumbled over his tongue for a few seconds, then answered, "Uh, no, I don't think she's my ... my friend's type. I'd better just move on to the next bar. Thanks for your help anyway, it was ... nice ... meeting you." (For certain definitions of "nice" that were basically untrue.)

Khoo was all ready to get up and leave the table, when the door to the bar opened again.

Now who's that?

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"I swear." Eve called back as she cleared the threshold to the dive of a tavern. "If that fop isn't in here I'm going to vandalize the paintings in his chamber and turn his cat into a furry duster. We- hey!"

The young woman drew up sharply as her enthusiastic stride nearly drew her into a collision with the out-of-towner.

"Why don't you watch where I'm going? I'm walking here!"

"Most people watch out for themselves Eve." The 'bum' replied, losing all trace of his common accent at the sight of his companion.

"There you are!" She cried, whirling around to face him. "Five taverns, five bloody taverns we checked to find your scrawny arse, Leo. What are you doing? Wasting guild time trying to rob some kid?"

The noble flushed and ran a hand through the greasy tangle of his hair. He smiled apologetically at Khoo, his mark.

"Weeeelllll... I... may have started that way but..."

Those listening to the background noise at that moment would have noted that there was a second argument which had just started at the poker table. The game was over, and apparently someone was pretty upset about it.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Khoo had been almost ready to screw up his courage and do something involving the woman at the card table that he was sure he'd regret, when this ... loud ... woman came into the bar and started berating the drunk next to him. Or maybe he wasn't a drunk at all.

"You, uh, know this guy?" he asked Eve when she subsided, giving her a little extra scrutiny from a "mission" point of view. Hmmm ... the take-charge type. Wonder if she ...

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

"This is Leo Landau." Eve replied. "Son of the late Adrian Landau, a Lorrelian nobleman, heir to his considerable fortune..."

"...who also happens to think that announcing my families money isn't the most intelligent thing to do in a place like this!" Leo snapped. Khoo couldn't help but notice the almost chameleonic way Leo's whole bearing had changed after he'd 'broken character'. Clearly the raggedly dressed man had extensive experience in the art of subterfuge (OOC My backhanded way of suggesting that Leo could helpful outside of Rinkaiel.../OOC). Leo faced the younger man with a sheepish look, the gentle tinkle of glass sounded from a dark corner behind him.

"My apologies young sir. I was somewhat bored and depressed today, and went looking for a bit of sport to cheer me up."

"Neglecting your responsibilities to your guild to go pickpocket bookworms... unbelievable." The woman sneered.

"It's doing just fine without me." Leo murmured.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Well, that explains much, thought Khoo. Something just hadn't felt right about this encounter. He took a second to look over the newcomer as she sneered at Leo. Wonder if they're sleeping ... Nah, the body language is all wrong for it. This, to put it mildly, was an understatement. That was good. Probably.

"We were just discussing a possible business arrangement," Khoo told Eve. "One that might involve you too." That would simplify so many things...

Jack Rothwell
Teller of Tales

Post by Jack Rothwell »

Eve had shrugged a 'maybe' and led the young man over to an unoccupied table with her dishevelled companion in muttering tow. As they sat, she opened her mouth to ask for details, but whatever the mercenary was to say was cut-off abruptly by a coarse yell.

"You cheating bitch!"

The Silver Hands and their new acquaintance turned in their seats to see one of the card players, a veritable mountain of blubber and biceps, swing the jagged end of a broken bottle at the savage looking woman sat opposite him. Feathers flew from the tangle of her hair as she pitched herself sideways out of her seat. Leo observed dully that the two other gentlemen were getting up, and not to lend her assistance.

"My goodness!" He exclaimed. "The dainty damsel is in distress."

"You're not a knight in shining armour, doofus." Eve muttered back.

The young woman's warning may have gone heeded if the victim of the intended assault hadn't decided in the following moment to grab the nearest innocent bystander and pitch him directly at the closest of her attackers. The awful chain reaction which followed began with the tangled men falling into a table laden with drinks and surrounded by some extremely hungover and extremely grouchy looking sailors, and finished with a tin mug being knocked out of a serving maid's hand to connect with Leo's head with a noise best described as 'goiiiing'. By the time the young aristocrat had shaken his head clear the establishment had erupted into chaos.

"Perhaps business talk can wait until after we get out of here?" He managed, bringing up a hand to massage his throbbing temple.

Of course, exiting the bar in the middle of a brawl was rarely a straightforward journey...

OOC If anyone feels like pitching some comedic details to the proceeding rumble, feel free. I should add that the woman who started the brawl is Myra. So pm me if you're planning to interact with her.

Btw, it looks like Eve is shaping up to be a better candidate for the mission than the banditwoman, which is fine by me. But I think it would be a waste if the info about the appearance of the mark doesn't get back to her. After all, she's looking for Eli, and not because she likes him very much./OOC
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

Khoo's very limited experience had taught him three things. First, he had no interest in being in a serious barroom brawl. Second, getting out of such brawls often required a distraction.

Third, the tailor-made equipment in most bars for creating distractions was a chandelier. And this bar had one.

He focused magical energy for a moment; this shouldn't be difficult. "AIR DAGGER!"

A wedge-shaped dart of magic shot out in the direction of the rope holding the chandelier above the middle of the room. Khoo was no combat mage, and this thaumatic projectile wouldn't do much damage to anyone made of flesh and blood. A rope, however, was a different story.

Moments later, the chandelier arrived at ground level with the sound of a hundred badly-tuned pianos all having all their keys struck at once. Half-moments after that, particularly vile curses followed, from the voices that the piano-lier had landed on.

"Let's get out of here," Khoo muttered to anyone who would listen.