2018-03-01: Can't take it with you.

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Re: 2018-03-01: Can't take it with you.

Post by Forrest »

How big (in volume) a pile of gold would a reasonable lifetime's worth of money (today) have to be?
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
mindstalk
Typo-Seeking Missile

Post by mindstalk »

Forrest wrote:How big (in volume) a pile of gold would a reasonable lifetime's worth of money (today) have to be?
$50,000/year * 100 years = $5 million = 118 kg = 6+ liters. Imagine 3 2-liter Coke bottles, with their tops cut off and the volume filled with gold coins. Add part of a 4th bottle, since I rounded down plus coins aren't as dense as a solid lump of gold. Or imagine two milk gallons, filled with gold coins.

BTW, one milk gallon jug filled with gold would mass about 72 kg, or 160 pounds. Silver would be a bit over half that, 87 pounds.
Forrest
Finally, some love for the BJ!

Post by Forrest »

Wow, that is surprisingly small. So a chest (like the old fashioned pirate's chests) of gold at the foot of your bed would set you up for life.
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
Imp-Chan
Not Yet Dead
Twitter @: ImpChan

Post by Imp-Chan »

Forrest wrote:Wow, that is surprisingly small. So a chest (like the old fashioned pirate's chests) of gold at the foot of your bed would set you up for life.
Sure, if your lifestyle was relatively modest and you had anywhere to reliably sell the gold for its true value. Pawn shops and dealers are going to take a cut, remember. If you go all Scrooge McDuck... well, THEN you are starting to resemble someone genuinely wealthy with that much gold. But still less so than the 1%, probably?

The entire premise of the SERRATED EDGE books, which I just reread, is that the elves want to help people (specifically children in need), but these days if they just give them chests of magically crafted gold it sends up waaaaay too many red flags and it's the kids or their parents who are harmed by that. So instead, they needed a money laundering scheme. The good elves decided that racing cars was fun, so they set up a racing company to manufacture cars with non-steel components (magically produced, though they pretended otherwise) and got really into the engineering side of things.

The fact is, electronic currency is waaaaay easier, but much more vulnerable. It's hard to carry off a lot of gold, but relatively easy to commit identity theft.
Because scary little devil girls have to stick together.
Gelrir
One Post Wonder

Post by Gelrir »

The national debt of the United Kingdom in 1870 was just under £800,000,000; a troy ounce of gold was worth £39.25 (well, 39 pounds 5 shlllings, you get the deal), so it would have been (convert, convert) 634 metric tons of gold, or a solid cube 10' 6" on a side). The packing density of coins is roughly 0.66, so in "big gold coins" it would be a pile of coins the size of a FedEx delivery truck.
Ophidiophile
Forum Regular

Post by Ophidiophile »

I can't help but notice that Jian now has his shirt off, but isn't looking at the gold. Looks like Fran might get her fight after all.