2020-03-04: Smart Ass Phone

Follow the adventures of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Fran and Naga in this all-new humorous entry to the growing Poeverse.
Nosy Neighbordroid
Mage/Priest War Veteran

2020-03-04: Smart Ass Phone

Post by Nosy Neighbordroid »

Discussion thread for Smart Ass Phone
dark_lord_zagato
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2020-03-04: Smart Ass Phone

Post by dark_lord_zagato »

I've read a lot of bad things about the for profit prison industry. This is the actual reason why congress won't legalize marijuana on the federal level, or so i've been told, because they would lose too much money without all that slave labor. It's also probably the reason our prison population is so huge.

On a lighter note, what if the flip phone is already activated and set to vibrate, and someone calls before you can take it out? :oops:
Ophidiophile
Forum Regular

Post by Ophidiophile »

dark_lord_zagato wrote:I've read a lot of bad things about the for profit prison industry. This is the actual reason why congress won't legalize marijuana on the federal level, or so i've been told, because they would lose too much money without all that slave labor. It's also probably the reason our prison population is so huge.
Most people think slavery is illegal in the US, but it's only mostly illegal; still allowed in jails and prisons! Our prison populations started going up, up, up in the 80's when for-profit prisons started popping up. There had always been forced labor in prisons, but the private prisons raised it to a new level, mostly catering to US companies. And no one keeps track of which companies or which products, so if you're buying stuff made in the USA, it could still be made by slave labor.
Ophidiophile
Forum Regular

Post by Ophidiophile »

I look at Seth in that shirt, and I can't help but think he looks like a vulcan (probably because of the sleeves).
Michael Poe
The Almighty Poe

Post by Michael Poe »

Ophidiophile wrote:I look at Seth in that shirt, and I can't help but think he looks like a vulcan (probably because of the sleeves).
Well, Star Trek has started making their Romulians look like LotR elves, so it's only fair.
Ophidiophile wrote:
dark_lord_zagato wrote:I've read a lot of bad things about the for profit prison industry. This is the actual reason why congress won't legalize marijuana on the federal level, or so i've been told, because they would lose too much money without all that slave labor. It's also probably the reason our prison population is so huge.
Most people think slavery is illegal in the US, but it's only mostly illegal; still allowed in jails and prisons! Our prison populations started going up, up, up in the 80's when for-profit prisons started popping up. There had always been forced labor in prisons, but the private prisons raised it to a new level, mostly catering to US companies. And no one keeps track of which companies or which products, so if you're buying stuff made in the USA, it could still be made by slave labor.
It is pretty despicable, and not just from the slave labor angle. They also basically turn the prisons into "company stores" type of deals where they can separate what little pay the inmates do receive from the work with fees and high mark up on items and services that must be directly purchased from the prison itself, like phone calls and such. One recent article I saw was about how some areas had banned outside books from their prisons, then forcing inmates to purchases pricey e-readers on top of charging the inmates for the downloads, some of which were even taken directly from Project Gutenberg, which is a free repository of books for download. Apparently one company even went so far as to charge by time instead by download. It's all horribly corrupt.