2008-03-26 There's a reason for that

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Pillaroforder
Heretical Monk

2008-03-26 There's a reason for that

Post by Pillaroforder »

Here's a bit for all our historians. More dates. And what was the last humiliating thing Sarine did to her mother, pardon, relations?
Initial B
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Re: 2008-03-26 There's a reason for that

Post by Initial B »

Probably shacking up with a human, so this is relatively less embarassing. 1700 years since the last human steped into the chamber? Boy, they really don't think much of humans. Jon makes a nice counterpoint to Sara's dark expression. Considering how the elves discarded the Ensigerum as so much trash when they withdrew, I'm not surprised at her hostility.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Hmm, so Sarine has a "relation", Jon is acting like a hayseed, and Sara is mightily pissed. Wonderful!

Does anyone else find it convienent that Sarine happens to let drop the fact that she has a relative still alive at the only possible time where Jon can't question her about it?
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

DarkIntruder wrote:Hmm, so Sarine has a "relation", Jon is acting like a hayseed, and Sara is mightily pissed. Wonderful!
The "relation" is no surprise; Sarine alluded to her "mo-- relations" on her previous trip back to the cave, talking to Misa about how she became a ranger. The "five hundred years" part is more interesting, because as far as we can tell, the elves have only had rangers out there for two hundred years, i.e., since Luminosita came calling. Either that is incorrect and the rangers were out before the barrier came down, or the thing that mortified her mother is unconnected to being a ranger. It will be very interesting to meet Sarine's mom -- and jarring, because she's going to look as young, and possibly as hawt, as Sarine herself.

As for Jon and Sara, I don't know that Sara is "mightily pissed" as much as she's playing the role Sarine assigned her -- but it might be from the heart.
DarkIntruder wrote:Does anyone else find it convienent that Sarine happens to let drop the fact that she has a relative still alive at the only possible time where Jon can't question her about it?
That wasn't done for Jon's benefit, it was done for ours. Considerate of her. ;)

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
DarkIntruder
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by DarkIntruder »

Graybeard wrote:The "relation" is no surprise; Sarine alluded to her "mo-- relations" on her previous trip back to the cave, talking to Misa about how she became a ranger.

Whaaaaaa? I must have forgotten about that.
Graybeard
The Heretical Admin

Post by Graybeard »

DarkIntruder wrote:
Graybeard wrote:The "relation" is no surprise; Sarine alluded to her "mo-- relations" on her previous trip back to the cave, talking to Misa about how she became a ranger.
Whaaaaaa? I must have forgotten about that.
Here's the reference. It was accompanied by a Poe note in the old forum about how elves consider it a social gaffe to continue to talk about their "parents" beyond a certain age (which Sarine is well beyond), with etiquette calling for use of the term "relations" instead.

Because old is wise, does good, and above all, kicks ass.
Slamlander
Keeper of the Holy Algorithms
Location: Nyon, CH, near Geneve, on the shores of the Lac Leman. The heart of Suisse Romande.

Post by Slamlander »

Graybeard wrote:
DarkIntruder wrote:Hmm, so Sarine has a "relation", Jon is acting like a hayseed, and Sara is mightily pissed. Wonderful!
The "relation" is no surprise; Sarine alluded to her "mo-- relations" on her previous trip back to the cave, talking to Misa about how she became a ranger. The "five hundred years" part is more interesting, because as far as we can tell, the elves have only had rangers out there for two hundred years, i.e., since Luminosita came calling. Either that is incorrect and the rangers were out before the barrier came down, or the thing that mortified her mother is unconnected to being a ranger. It will be very interesting to meet Sarine's mom -- and jarring, because she's going to look as young, and possibly as hawt, as Sarine herself.
I dunno chief, I never made the 200 year assumption as there was no evidence for it. I had always assumed that there were Rangers ever since the Elves holed up in Praenubilis Astu. It makes sense to have an external reconn force when you go into hiding like that. Besides, half-elves and Errants (the enemy) were/are still around.
Pillaroforder
Heretical Monk

Post by Pillaroforder »

But I tought they sent Lumi only when they thought the Elves went extinct. Certainly an occasional sighting of an elven ranger would convince the church of the opposite? And didn't Sarine say the Lumi incident convinced the Elves it was high time they said hello to the rest of the world?
Last edited by Pillaroforder on March 26th, 2008, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davester65
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by davester65 »

Pillaroforder wrote:But I tought they sent Lumi only when they thought the Elves went extinct. Certainly an occasional sighting of an elven ranger would convince the church of the opposite? And didn't Sarine say the Lumi icident convinced the Elves it was high time they said hello to the rest of the world?
I seem to recall the same thing. I also recall Sarine saying that she joined the Rangers because it was the only way to escape from the city without causing problems for her "relation".
Michael Poe
The Almighty Poe

Post by Michael Poe »

Graybeard wrote: The "relation" is no surprise; Sarine alluded to her "mo-- relations" on her previous trip back to the cave, talking to Misa about how she became a ranger. The "five hundred years" part is more interesting, because as far as we can tell, the elves have only had rangers out there for two hundred years, i.e., since Luminosita came calling. Either that is incorrect and the rangers were out before the barrier came down, or the thing that mortified her mother is unconnected to being a ranger.

It's worth noting that becoming a ranger is general considered an honorable thing for a elf... leaving the safety of their majestic city to go perform the dangerous, nasty, though honorable duty of hunting down errants... and the perfect thing for say a, known human-fucking malcontent who brought noting but shame upon her entire house and relations, to redeem herself for fighting on the wrong side of the war.

I really wish I had done that flashback of Sarine talking with her mother about becoming a ranger that I had wanted to put in chapter twenty one.
DarkIntruder wrote:Does anyone else find it convienent that Sarine happens to let drop the fact that she has a relative still alive at the only possible time where Jon can't question her about it?
Actual Dialog cut from panel due to space:
"Jon, after the meeting remind me to go tell her we slept together. She'll just assume it otherwise."