2008-09-15 - "Oh Anilis, I am worthless!"

For talking about the plot, the art, the dialogue, the characters, the site, and the individual updates...
Sareth
RPG All-Star

Re: 2008-09-15 - "Oh Anilis, I am worthless!"

Post by Sareth »

Answers those questions. Thanks Poe!

*offers a sacrifice of bourbon and catgirls to the Almighty Poe*
Boss Out of Town
Team Captain

Post by Boss Out of Town »

Slamlander wrote:
Michael Poe wrote:Fuzzy numbers and dates aside, Misa was born sometime during the latter half of the war and, in fact, it was her birth that gave the war (which was actually slowing down at the time) an extra jolt of life (for the elves anyway) and kept the mess going for another round. Even by the actual end of the war, Misa was still far too young to have actually participated in the conflict, beyond being used as an example that 'the birth of this child is a gift from our gods and sign that what we're doing is the right thing', and had even spent a good chunk of her childhood carefully sheltered from it.
That was good to know, off to the HKV.
Michael Poe wrote:Also, unfortunately for Misa, I already have a Jay to Sara's Silent Bob picked out.
Now if I only knew what a Jay and Silent Bob part was ....
I say it means Sara gets assigned as Meji's bodyguard for the rest of the novel.

I certainly hope it has nothing to do with that dipstick Chris.
RubberBandMan
Errant Scholar

Post by RubberBandMan »

From the movies, Jay and Silent bob were two guys. Jay would do most of the talking, and could be rather idiotic. Silent bob was,for the most part, silent and very rarely said anything at all, but when he did it was important/insightful and so on.

Granted, the term has evolved somewhat into any pairing of two people where one does all the talking and the other rarely says anything.

If its Sara that is the focus of the ES sequel, it would be wise to pair her up with a more talkitive partner, since she at present state really isn't going to be starting that many conversations. And with the fact she's really only been a very minor view-point character and only got real character focus 2/3s the way into the story, and odds are that the other characters won't have time to spare for her mental state (Since, after all, she's not crazy and if she has a goal she can focus on that. Its after this whole world in danger thing is over that is going to be rough on her).

Interesting that Misa wasn't ignored as much as activly sheltered from the 'real world'. She must get alot of attention on her then we thought before. Less of an annoying child pulling at your pant leg, more of a "Daddy has to go and work for your future dearest, can you watch the house while I'm gone?"

Still, the odds of Misa making it out of this story alive are... low. I'm thinking 50/50, since we don't know if Poe is gonna go "kill them all" at the end. Other main characters I'd peg as about 25% die, 75% live. Again, until we start to see how Poe is going to wrap up the story. Come to think of it, how many some-what important characters have been killed? Ian's sister, Sarine's husband, Connel? The world is pretty stable, but its getting closer to a war that could make the Errant War look tame, even if it is a shiton shorter.
runic
Errant Scholar

Post by runic »

being the justification for GENOCIDE! must gnaw on her, she's shows none of the signs that she has bought into the elven bigotry

and if sara is picking up a jay to her bobness in the sequel it's probably bani since she is supposed to be much more central in it and does actually talk.
Dazed
Forum Regular

Post by Dazed »

RubberBandMan wrote: Still, the odds of Misa making it out of this story alive are... low. I'm thinking 50/50, since we don't know if Poe is gonna go "kill them all" at the end. Other main characters I'd peg as about 25% die, 75% live.
Eh, I give Misa a better shot at survival than Sarine to be honest. I have very little (i.e. nothing) to base that on, just a gut feeling.
RubberBandMan
Errant Scholar

Post by RubberBandMan »

It really, really depends on if Misa gets promoted to main character or not, or even semi-important character, like Anita is, or Sara was before the assassination thing. Poe is really giving detail and life to the Misa character, so it can go either way.

And I don't think Sarine is gonna croak it. The humans and half elves maybe, but I think it would be fitting to have another "Two thousand years or so later..." cut after the end of the story to see Sarine, once again, wander into some one-horse town and kill some bloke for some reason or other.

Granted, you could do the same with Misa if she because more important, and even Meji could pull it off if its only 200 or so years. Still, I think back to the Ozymandias poem at the start, and wonder if that is how its going to end. In 2000 years there is only a handful of people remembering all the shit that's about to go down, and only because they were around to see it.
wrog
Errant Scholar

Post by wrog »

there does generally come a point in most quest stories where you have to get the mentor off the scene somehow. Which puts rather high odds on Sarine either getting killed or getting locked in a fridge for a while,.. or something. Likewise for Jon since he's in a sort of mentory role, too...
Itterind
Mage/Priest War Veteran

Post by Itterind »

Dazed wrote:
RubberBandMan wrote: Still, the odds of Misa making it out of this story alive are... low. I'm thinking 50/50, since we don't know if Poe is gonna go "kill them all" at the end. Other main characters I'd peg as about 25% die, 75% live.
Eh, I give Misa a better shot at survival than Sarine to be honest. I have very little (i.e. nothing) to base that on, just a gut feeling.
Actually (I never considered it (much) but) that makes a LOT of sense from a literary perspective. Going to sleep after the red lifeline of her experience with Errants goes full circle. Or she could be retired. But from a realistic perspective she's in the catbird seat. Moreso than other characters that is, she's still at very significant risk.
Furthermore, if she just keeps on exposing herself as she has so far (highest number of near-death experiences in the story) 'time and chance happens to them all' will get her, as it says in the bible.
pillar_of_hate
Forum Regular

Post by pillar_of_hate »

Michael Poe wrote:Also, unfortunately for Misa, I already have a Jay to Sara's Silent Bob picked out.
That's probably Meji, but since the most Jay-like character of all is Ellis, maybe Meji dies and somehow Sara inherits him.

That's a pretty raw deal, though. I mean for all involved.